The 93rd meeting of the Scottish Freshwater Group took place on Thursday 30 October 2014.
Morning Chair: Laurence Carvalho (Centre for Ecology & Hydrology)
- 10:00: Meet for tea / coffee
- 10:30: Paul Ramsay (Bamff Estate) "1 Beavers at Bamff"
- 11:00: Charles Perfect (University of Stiring) "2 Restoration development trajectories; patterns of recovery by riparian vegetation"
- 11:30: Eirini Politi (University of Dundee) " 3 The 1000 lake challenge.pdf"
- 12:00: Marian Scott (University of Glasgow) " 4 Statistics of the aquatic environment - what is on the horizon.pdf"
12:30-14:00 Lunch & Poster Demonstrations
- Erica Dewell (Dundee University): "Impacts of Morphological Restoration on Macroinvertebrate Assemblage in Eddleston Water"
- Hannah Clilverd (University College London): "The ecohydrological effects of river embankment removal on a floodplain meadow"
Afternoon Theme: The Eddleston Water Project - measuring the effectiveness of restoring a sub-catchment of the Tweed
Afternoon Chair: Chris Spray (University of Dundee)
- 14:00: Chris Spray (University of Dundee) " 5 Introduction to the Eddleston Water Project - aims and policy context.pdf"
- 14:15: Hugh Chalmers (Tweed Foundation) and Carolyn Mills (cbec) "Practical restoration works undertaken" SFG93 part one.pdf and SFG93 part two.pdf
- 14:40: Tom Ball/Andrew Black (University of Dundee) "Surface Water Monitoring"
- 15:00: Alan McDonald (BGS) " Measuring the contribution of groundwater and soil water to flooding.pdf"
- 15:20: Chris Bromley (SEPA) " 9 Geomorphology and ecology monitoring.pdf"
- 15:40: Chris Spray (chair) "Discussion and summing up"
- 16.00: Close of meeting, followed by social drink in the Meadowpark Hotel
The next meeting of the Scottish Freshwater Group will be on Thursday 19 April 2015, with a half-day theme on "CREW discussion of research priorities". To offer a talk or poster, please contact Dr Laurence Carvalho, Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (Edinburgh), Bush Estate, Penicuik, EH26 0QB. E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
The 92nd meeting of the Scottish Freshwater Group took place on Thursday 27 March 2014.
Morning theme: The Story of Tweed Sea-trout
Morning chair: Ronald Campbell (Tweed Foundation)
- 10.00: Meet for tea / coffee
- 10:30: Kenny Galt (Tweed Foundation) " 1 Sea Trout Freshwater Phase.pdf" [4.25mb]
- 11:00: Niall Gauld (University of Durham) " 2 The Downstream migration of smolts.pdf" [2.05mb]
- 11:30: Ronald Campbell (Tweed Foundation) " 3 Sea trout migrations at sea.pdf" [1mb]
- 12:00: Niall Gauld (University of Durham) " 4 The Upstream spawning migration.pdf" [2.90mb]
12:40-14:00 Lunch & Poster Demonstrations
- Alan Law (University of Stirling) "The impact of beaver dams on macroinvertebrates"
- Shallow Lakes 2014
Chair: Laurence Carvalho (Centre for Ecology & Hydrology)
- 14:00: Robert Brackley (University of Glasgow) " 5 Investigating the impacts of a small-scale hydropower scheme upon salmonids.pdf" [2.33mb]
- 14:30: Rick Battarbee (University College London) " 6 Upland Waters Monitoring Network.pdf" [3.06mb]
- 15:00: Chris Mellor (Scottish Natural Heritage) " 7 The monetary value of ecosystem service enhancements delivered by river restoration projects.pdf" [1.60mb]
- 15:30 Steve Addy (James Hutton Institute) " 8 Monitoring the effectiveness of natural flood management and engineering techniques to reduce flood risk in upland catchments.pdf" [3.25mb]
- 16.00 Close of meeting, followed by social drink in the Meadowpark Hotel