Social Media: | Twitter,
My main area of research is mathematical modelling of population dynamics, ecology and evolution. Specific areas of interest include:
- Modelling invasive species
- Modelling the spread of Xylella fastidiosa
- Insect vector population dynamics including mosquitoes and midges
- Lepidoptera population cycles and their interactions with their natural enemies
- Within-host virus dynamics
- Mosquito population control using sterile insect techniques (SIT) and transgenic technologies
- Host-parasite ecology and evolution
- Lepidopteran population monitoring in Orkney.
My latest papers are listed on NORA (also see below).
The final report of the EFSA project "Inventory and review of quantitative models for spread of plant pests for use in pest risk assessment for the EU territory" can be found here.
The book on the EDEN and EDENext project can be found here.
Postdoc (Research Associate) Position Available
PhD Projects Offered for 2019 Intake:
- Predicting African insect crop pests in real-time (CEH/Glasgow/CABI - IAPETUS2 DTP)
- Modelling the mechanisms of olive die back caused by Xylella fastidiosa biofilms (Southampton/CEH/CNR - INSPIRE DTP)
- Trait-based approaches for predicting mosquito distributions under environmental change (CEH/Reading/Oxford/Zurich - QMEE CDT)
- How do species interactions determine species ranges? (Exeter/CEH - GW4+ DTP)
- 2008-present Theoretical Ecologist at the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology, Wallingford. Research areas include modelling host-pathogen ecology and evolution at multiple scales, plant dispersal ecology, gall wasp population dynamics and mosquito control.
- 2005-2008 Postdoctoral research assistant at the Institute of Integrative and Comparative Biology, University of Leeds.
- 2004-2005 Postdoctoral research assistant at the Centre for Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford.
- 2003-2004 Mathematics lecturer at the University of Bath.
- 2008 - present: Centre for Mathematical Biology, University of Oxford.
- 2005 - 2008: Odum School of Ecology, University of Georgia.
- 2004 - 2005: CEH Oxford. Visiting Fellow.
2000-2004 PhD, Department of Mathematical Sciences, University of Bath
1995-2000 MMath, Department of Mathematical Science, University of Bath