My research quantifies energy, water and greenhouse gas (GHG) exchanges (fluxes) between the land surface and the atmosphere. It aims to improve the evidence base for land-based GHG mitigation and terrestrial GHG accounting, and provides data for improving and evaluating land models and remotely sensed data products. I specialize in biometeorological flux observations using the eddy covariance (EC) technique, with a principal focus on carbon dioxide fluxes at lowland peatland environments. Active flux sites include semi-natural and managed (lowland and upland) peatlands, grasslands, and food and bioenergy production systems.
I am currently leading work to evaluate the greenhouse gas abatement potential of (i) optimized water management in lowland agricultural peatlands, and (ii) novel wetland agriculture systems ('paludiculture').
I lead the network of UK-SCAPE flux towers located across England and Wales. From 2018, I established and continue to grow a new network of agricultural flux towers (on mineral soils) under ASSIST that will provide evidence on the carbon and water balance of 'climate smart' versus conventional agricultural management systems.
Since June 2019, I have developed a new data processing system that exploits data collected at COSMOS-UK sites to deliver near-real-time estimates of evapotranspiration for over 35 locations distributed across the UK.
Past research has included observations of land surface-atmosphere energy and water fluxes that underpinned meteorological and hydrological modelling studies in India. I was involved in developing the COSMOS-India and COSMOS-UK soil moisture networks.
- Flux Scientist, Land Surface Science, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, 2018...
- Flux Scientist, Land Surface Flux Measurments, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology, 2013-2018
- Honorary Visiting Fellow, Centre for Landscape and Climate Research, 2013-2016
- Postdoctoral Research Scientist, Department of Geography, University of Leicester, 2012-2013
- Teaching Fellow, Department of Geography, University of Leicester, 2012-2013
- PhD, Department of Geography, University of Leicester, 2009-2013
- BSc, Department of Geography, University of Leicester, 2003-2007
- Arboriculture, horticulture, landscaping, 1995-2006
PhD, Department of Geography, University of Leicester, 2013
BSc Physical Geography, First Class, University of Leicester, 2007