Chemicals are vital for health and economic development but can also have adverse impacts on wildlife and people. For economic development to be sustainable, it is essential that the risks associated with the manufacture, use and disposal of chemicals can be assessed scientifically and objectively. This requires scientific data and understanding of what contaminants are present in the environment and what effects they may have.
My research centres on studying the exposure and effects of pollutants, biocides and pesticides in wild birds and mammals, including:
- monitoring current levels of contamination of wild mammals and birds by pollutants, biocides and pesticides
- identifying new chemical threats to wildlife
- understanding how and why contamination varies geographically and over time
- understanding what drives the transfer of chemicals along food-chains
- investigating, assessing and predicting the impacts contamination may have.
The results from this research help identify chemical risks, develop appropriate assessment and mitigation strategies, and guide the formulation of effective policies to protect environmental and human health.
I have authored or co-authored more than 250 papers, book chapters, articles and contract reports on my work. Web of Science listed publications can be found by clicking here and a full listing is available through the NERC Open Archive (NORA).
More details about our long-term, large-scale monitoring of contaminants in birds can be found on CEH's Predatory Bird Monitoring Scheme (PBMS) website (click here)
- CEH's Science Area Head for Pollution
- Senior manager of about 50-60 staff and students who comprise four groups: Analytical Chemistry (CEH’s centralised analytical chemistry facility), Environmental Data Science, Ecotoxicology and Environmental Contaminants
- Head of Site at CEH Lancaster
- Researcher in vertebrate ecotoxicology
- Honorary Professor, Lancaster Environment Centre, Lancaster University (2011- onwards)
- Chair of the Mammal Society's Scientific Committee (2015 - onwards)
- Appointee to Defra's Expert Committee on Pesticides (ECP) (2014- onwards)
- Appointee to Defra's Advisory Committee on Pesticides (ACP) (2011-14)
- Chair of the Environmental Panel of the Advisory Committee on Pesticide (ACP) (2013- onwards)
- Mammal Society silver medal awarded for outstanding services to Mammalogy (2010)
- Member of the editorial board of Environmental Pollution (2002- onwards)
- Member of the Royal Society's Commonwealth Science Conference Grants Committee (2016- onwards)
- Member of the International Travel Grant Panel of the Royal Society (2010-2015)
- External lecturer on MSc courses for the Universities of Birmingham (from 2002) and London (from 2005)
- BSc (Hons) Zoology, Class 1, University of Bristol
- PhD University of Manchester
- Society of Environmental Toxicology & Chemistry
- The Mammal Society