Social Media: | Twitter,
My research focuses on understanding spatial and temporal patterns of ecological functioning, diversity and species’ distributions, with an aim to improve fundamental ecological understanding and to better predict how environmental (biotic, climate, biogeochemical and land-use) changes affect natural ecosystems, and how ecosystems can best be conserved. I am particularly interested in forests and terrestrial vegetation. I apply a range of spatial and statistical modelling techniques to address these research themes. Current research projects include:
- Ecology of tropical forests
- Functional trait composition and effects on demographic rates and carbon cycling
- Effects of plant compositional change on belowground carbon and nutrient cycling
- Plant invasion and ecosystem impacts
- Impacts of air pollution on terrestrial ecosystems
- The role of interacting stressors in affecting ecosystem function
- Brearley FQ, Banin LF & Saner P. (2017) The ecology of the Asian Dipterocarps. Plant Ecology & Diversity.
- Sullivan MJP, Talbot J, Lewis SL, Phillips OL, Qie L, SK Begne, J Chave, A Cuni Sanchez, W Hubau, G Lopez-Gonzalez, L Miles, A Monteagudo-Mendoza, B Sonké, T Sunderland, H ter Steege, LJT White, K Affum-Baffoe, S Aiba, EC Almeida, E Almeida de Oliveira, P Alvarez-Loayza, E Álvarez Dávila, A Andrade, LEOC Aragão, P Ashton, C Aymard, TR Baker, M Balinga, LF Banin, (& 86 others) (2017) Diversity and carbon storage across the tropical forest biome. Scientific Reports 7: article number: 39102.
- Sayer E & Banin LF. (2016) Tree nutrient status and nutrient cycling in tropical forests – lessons from fertilization experiements. In (eds), G. Goldstein & L. Santiago, Tropical Tree Physiology: adaptations and responses in a changing environment, Springer.
- Monteith D, Henrys P, Banin LF, Smith R, Morecroft M, Scott T, Andrews C, Beaumont D, Benham S, Bowmaker V, Corbett S, Dick J, Dodd B, Dodd N, McKenna C, McMillan S, Pallett D, Pereira MG, Poskitt J, Rennie S, Rose R, Schäfer S, Sherrin L, Tang S, Turner A & Watson H (2016) Trends and variability in weather and atmospheric deposition at UK Environmental Change Network sites (1993-2012). Ecological Indicators. 68: 21-35.
- Banin LF, Phillips OL, & Lewis SL. (2015) Tropical Forests. In R. Corlett & K. S-H. Peh (eds), Handbook of Forest Ecology, Routledge.
- Banin L, Lewis SL, Lopez-Gonzalez G, Baker TR, Quesada CA, Chao K.-J, Burslem DFRP, Nilus R, Abu Salim K, Keeling HC, Tan S, Davies SJ, Monteagudo Mendoza A, Vásquez R, Lloyd J, Neill DA, Pitman N & Phillips OL. (2014) Tropical forest wood production: a cross-continental comparison. Journal of Ecology. 102 (4): 1025-1037. **Featured in Science Magazine Editor’s Choice 9th May 2014 (vol 344, 6184), ScienceDaily and Mongabay.
- Fornara D, Banin L and Crawley M. (2013) Multi-nutrient effects on belowground carbon sequestration in grasslands. Global Change Biology. 19 (12): 3848-3857.
- Feldpausch TR, Lloyd J, Lewis SL, Brienen RJW, Gloor E, Monteagudo Mendoza A, Lopez-Gonzalez G, Banin L, (& 77 others). (2012) Tree height integrated into pan-tropical forest biomass estimates. Biogeosciences. 9: 3381-3403.
- Banin L, Feldpausch TR, Phillips OL, Baker TR, Lloyd J, Affum-BaffoeK, Arets EJMM, Berry NJ, Bradford M, Breinen RJW, Davies S, Drescher M, Higuchi N, Hilbert N, Hladik A, Iida Y, Abu Silam K, Kassim AR, King DA, Lopez-Gonzalez G, Metcalfe D, Nilus R, Peh KS-H, Reitsma JM, Sonké B, Taedoumg H, Tan S, White L, Wöll H and Lewis SL. (2012) What controls tropical forest architecture? Testing environmental, structural and floristic drivers. Global Ecology and Biogeography. 21 (12): 1179–1190.
For an extended list of publications, please visit my Google Scholar page: https://scholar.google.co.uk/citations?user=t4ZruzwAAAAJ&hl=en
- Emily Waddell (PhD, NERC ACCE DTP, University of York: Plant invasion of tropical forest fragments)
- Abby Wallwork (PhD, NERC ENVISION DTP, University of Lancaster: Linking functional diversity with soil carbon dynamics in secondary tropical forests)
- Helen Hallang (MSc, University of Edinburgh)
- 2013 - present: Statistical Ecologist, CEH
- 2011-2013: Post-doctoral Researcher, School of Environmental Sciences, University of Ulster
- 2010-2011: Visiting lecturer, School of Geography, University of Nottingham, Quantitative Analysis for Environmental Managers
- PhD - University of Leeds, Tropical Ecology
- MSc - University of Nottingham, Environmental Management (Distinction)
- BSc (Hons) - University of Nottingham, Geography (First)
- Chair of the British Ecological Society Tropical Ecology Group. Find out more on Twitter @BES_Tropical or via the blog, https://tropecol.wordpress.com/.
- Associate Editor for Ecology & Evolution (http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/journal/10.1002/(ISSN)2045-7758).
- Member of the British Ecological Society.
- Guest editor for Special Issue, Plant Ecology & Diversity