1. Corridors. I am leading a joint UK/US project: Wildlife corridors: do they work and who benefits? We are investigating how to make wildlife corridors successful for a large variety of species, bringing new understanding into species dispersal over very large scales, and providing new methods for determining where to best invest resources for conservation.
2. Restoring Resilient Ecosystems, a new NERC Highlight Topic project, in which we are developing a new paradigm to assess ecosystem restoration, in terms of ecological complexity, emergent properties and resilience. I am leading the grassland component
3. BESTMAP an H2020 project developing an impact assessment models to address the complexity of decisions made by farmers and the wider impacts of policy on natural, social and cultural assets in rural areas. I am leading the WP on upscaling to the EU.
4. ASSIST project on Sustainable Agricultural Systems, a six-year £12 million research programme researching the challenge of feeding growing populations without causing unacceptable environmental damage. I am leading the modelling and synthesis component.
5. AgLand project under the UKR Landscape Decisions programme. We are providing new data and models to support decision makers in the design and management of future landscapes. I am leading the WP on applying and expanding models of ecosystem services.
6. Seed dispersal. We are using experiments, modelling and meta-analysis to quantify plant dispersal, its variation among species and to address the vexed question of just how far seeds might move. We are combining dispersal kernels and demography in simulation and mathematical models to project plant spread over fragmented landscapes and under climate change.
Spatial population ecology and dispersal
Landscape dynamics of plants: metapopulation ecology and extinctionsAgricultural ecology, particularly agri-environment schemes
Restoration of biodiversity and ecosystem services
Risk assessment of invasive species
Conservation ecology: large-scale, re-wilding, policy
Individual Merit (IMP) Scientist at CEH
Visiting Professor at Southampton Liverpool and Bournemouth Universities
Clarivate Highly Cited Researcher 2020
1) Willcock, S., D. A. P. Hooftman, R. Blanchard, T. P. Dawson, T. Hickler, M. Lindeskog, J. Martinez-Lopez, B. Reyers, S. M. Watts, F. Eigenbrod, and J. M. Bullock. 2020. Ensembles of ecosystem service models can improve accuracy and indicate uncertainty. Science of the Total Environment 747:141006.
2) Lu, Y., Y. Yang, B. Sun, J. Yuan, M. Yu, N. C. Stenseth, J. M. Bullock, and M. Obersteiner. 2020. Spatial variation in biodiversity loss across China under multiple environmental stressors. Science Advances 6:eabd0952.
3) Fox, N., T. August, F. Mancini, K. E. Parks, F. Eigenbrod, J. M. Bullock, L. Sutter, and L. J. Graham. 2020. “photosearcher” package in R: An accessible and reproducible method for harvesting large datasets from Flickr. SoftwareX 12:100624.
4) Bullock, J. M., and G. Pufal. 2020. Human-mediated dispersal as a driver of vegetation dynamics: A conceptual synthesis. Journal of Vegetation Science 31:943-953.
5) Torok, P., J. M. Bullock, B. Jimenez-Alfaro, and J. Sonkoly. 2020. The importance of dispersal and species establishment in vegetation dynamics and resilience. Journal of Vegetation Science 31:935-942.
6) Phillips, B. B., C. Wallace, B. R. Roberts, A. T. Whitehouse, K. J. Gaston, J. M. Bullock, L. V. Dicks, and J. L. Osborne. 2020. Enhancing road verges to aid pollinator conservation: A review. Biological Conservation 250:108687.
7) Ridding, L. E., A. C. Newton, S. A. Keith, R. M. Walls, A. Diaz, R. F. Pywell, and J. M. Bullock. 2020. Inconsistent detection of extinction debts using different methods. Ecography.
8) Ridding, L. E., A. C. Newton, J. W. Redhead, S. C. L. Watson, C. S. Rowland, and J. M. Bullock. 2020. Modelling historical landscape changes. Landscape Ecology 35:2695-2712..
9) White, S. M., J. A. Navas-Cortes, J. M. Bullock, D. Boscia, and D. S. Chapman. 2020. Estimating the epidemiology of emerging Xylella fastidiosa outbreaks in olives. Plant Pathology 69:1403-1413.
10) Bullock, J.M., Wichmann, M.C., Hails, R.S., Hodgson, D.J., Alexander, M.J., Morley, K., Knopp, T., Ridding, L.E. & Hooftman, D.A.P. (2020) Human-mediated dispersal and disturbance shape the metapopulation dynamics of a long-lived herb. Ecology, 101, e03087.
11) Phillips, B. B., J. M. Bullock, J. L. Osborne, and K. J. Gaston. 2020. Ecosystem service provision by road verges. Journal of Applied Ecology 57:488-501.
12) Fox, N., L. J. Graham, F. Eigenbrod, J. M. Bullock, and K. E. Parks. 2020. Incorporating geodiversity in ecosystem service decisions. Ecosystems and People 16:151-159.
13) Ridding, L. E., J. M. Bullock, O. L. Pescott, P. Hawes, R. Walls, M. G. Pereira, S. A. Thacker, P. O. Keenan, U. Dragosits, and R. F. Pywell. 2020. Long-term change in calcareous grassland vegetation and drivers over three time periods between 1970 and 2016. Plant Ecology 221:377-394.
14) Martin, P.A., Shackelford, G.E., Bullock, J.M., Gallardo, B., Aldridge, D.C. & Sutherland, W.J. (2020) Management of UK priority invasive alien plants: a systematic review protocol. Environmental Evidence, 9, 1.
15) Shaw, R.F., Phillips, B.B., Doyle, T., Pell, J.K., Redhead, J.W., Savage, J., Woodcock, B., Bullock, J.M. & Osborne, J.L. (2020) Mass-flowering crops have a greater impact than semi-natural habitat on crop pollinators and pollen deposition. Landscape Ecology, 35, 513-527.
16) Ridding, L. E., S. C. L. Watson, A. C. Newton, C. S. Rowland, and J. M. Bullock. 2020. Ongoing, but slowing, habitat loss in a rural landscape over 85 years. Landscape Ecology 35:257-273.
17) Benayas, J.M.R., Altamirano, A., Miranda, A., Catalan, G., Prado, M., Lison, F. & Bullock, J.M. (2020) Landscape restoration in a mixed agricultural-forest catchment: Planning a buffer strip and hedgerow network in a Chilean biodiversity hotspot. Ambio, 49, 310-323.
18) Willcock, S., D. A. P. Hooftman, S. Balbi, R. Blanchard, T. P. Dawson, P. J. O'Farrell, T. Hickler, M. D. Hudson, M. Lindeskog, J. Martinez-Lopez, M. Mulligan, B. Reyers, C. Shackleton, N. Sitas, F. Villa, S. M. Watts, F. Eigenbrod, and J. M. Bullock. 2019. A Continental-Scale Validation of Ecosystem Service Models. Ecosystems 22:1902-1917.
19) Chetcuti, J., Kunin, W.E. & Bullock, J.M. (2019) A weighting method to improve habitat association analysis: tested on British carabids. Ecography, 42, 1395-1404.
20) Masaki, T., Nakashizuka, T., Niiyama, K., Tanaka, H., Iida, S., Bullock, J.M. & Naoe, S. (2019) Impact of the spatial uncertainty of seed dispersal on tree colonization dynamics in a temperate forest. Oikos, 128, 1816-1828.
21) Kimberley, A., Bullock, J.M. & Cousins, S.A.O. (2019) Unbalanced species losses and gains lead to non-linear trajectories as grasslands become forests. Journal of Vegetation Science, 30, 1089-1098.
22) Phillips, B.B., Gaston, K.J., Bullock, J.M. & Osborne, J.L. (2019) Road verges support pollinators in agricultural landscapes, but are diminished by heavy traffic and summer cutting. Journal of Applied Ecology, 56, 2316-2327.
23) Perino, A., H. M. Pereira, L. M. Navarro, N. Fernández, J. M. Bullock, S. Ceaușu, A. Cortés-Avizanda, R. van Klink, T. Kuemmerle, A. Lomba, G. Pe’er, T. Plieninger, J. M. Rey Benayas, C. J. Sandom, J.-C. Svenning, and H. C. Wheeler. 2019. Rewilding complex ecosystems. Science 364: 5570.
24) Rogers, H. S., N. G. Beckman, F. Hartig, J. S. Johnson, G. Pufal, K. Shea, D. Zurell, J. M. Bullock, R. S. Cantrell, B. Loiselle, L. Pejchar, O. H. Razafindratsima, M. E. Sandor, E. W. Schupp, W. C. Strickland, and J. Zambrano. 2019. The total dispersal kernel: a review and future directions. Aob Plants 11.
25) Aslan, C., N. G. Beckman, H. S. Rogers, J. Bronstein, D. Zurell, F. Hartig, K. Shea, L. Pejchar, M. Neubert, J. Poulsen, J. HilleRisLambers, M. Miriti, B. Loiselle, E. Effiom, J. Zambrano, G. Schupp, G. Pufal, J. Johnson, J. M. Bullock, J. Brodie, E. Bruna, R. S. Cantrell, R. Decker, E. Fricke, K. Gurski, A. Hastings, O. Kogan, O. Razafindratsima, M. Sandor, S. Schreiber, R. Snell, C. Strickland, and Y. Zhou. 2019. Employing plant functional groups to advance seed dispersal ecology and conservation. AoB Plants 11:14.
26) Spake, R., C. Bellamy, L. J. Graham, K. Watts, T. Wilson, L. R. Norton, C. M. Wood, R. Schmucki, J. M. Bullock, and F. Eigenbrod. 2019. An analytical framework for spatially targeted management of natural capital. Nature Sustainability 2:90-97.
27) Diekmann, M., C. Andres, T. Becker, J. Bennie, V. Blüml, J. M. Bullock, H. Culmsee, M. Fanigliulo, A. Hahn, T. Heinken, C. Leuschner, S. Luka, J. Meißner, J. Müller, A. Newton, C. Peppler-Lisbach, G. Rosenthal, L. J. L. van den Berg, P. Vergeer, and K. Wesche. 2019. Patterns of long-term vegetation change vary between different types of semi-natural grasslands in Western and Central Europe. Journal of Vegetation Science 30:187-202.
28) Woodcock, B. A., M. P. D. Garratt, G. D. Powney, R. F. Shaw, J. L. Osborne, J. Soroka, S. A. M. Lindström, D. Stanley, P. Ouvrard, M. E. Edwards, F. Jauker, M. E. McCracken, Y. Zou, S. G. Potts, M. Rundlöf, J. A. Noriega, A. Greenop, H. G. Smith, R. Bommarco, W. van der Werf, J. C. Stout, I. Steffan-Dewenter, L. Morandin, J. M. Bullock, and R. F. Pywell. 2019. Meta-analysis reveals that pollinator functional diversity and abundance enhance crop pollination and yield. Nature Communications 10:1481.
29) Bengtsson, J., Bullock, J.M., Egoh, B., Everson, C., Everson, T., O'Connor, T., O'Farrell, P.J., Smith, H.G. & Lindborg, R. (2019) Grasslands—more important for ecosystem services than you might think. Ecosphere, 10, e02582.
30) Wagner, M., Fagan, K.C., Jefferson, R.G., Marrs, R.H., Mortimer, S.R., Bullock, J.M. & Pywell, R.F. (2019) Species indicators for naturally-regenerating and old calcareous grassland in southern England. Ecological Indicators, 101, 804-812.
31) Bullock, J.M., Bonte, D., Pufal, G., da Silva Carvalho, C., Chapman, D.S., García, C., García, D., Matthysen, E. & Delgado, M.M. (2018) Human-Mediated Dispersal and the Rewiring of Spatial Networks. Trends in Ecology & Evolution, 33, 958-970.