I'm interested in the impacts of climate change and air pollution on vegetation. For more than 25 years I have studied impacts from carbon dioxide and nitrogen enrichment, warming, heavy metal and ozone pollution, on plants. I'm also interested in communicating science to policy makers.
Since 2004, I'm the chairman of the ICP Vegetation (http://icpvegetation.ceh.ac.uk), an International Cooperative Programme reporting on the impacts of air pollutants on vegetation to the UN Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution (LRTAP). Ca. 50 countries and more than 200 scientists contribute to the programme. I have coordinated the European moss survey, reporting on the concentration of heavy metals and nitrogen (and to some extend persistent organic pollutants - POPs) in mosses. An important part of the programme is the development of ozone critical levels for vegetation, collating evidence of ozone effects and quantify ozone impacts on ecosystem services such as food security and carbon sequestration, and impacts on plant biodiversity.
For research facilities, see http://www.ceh.ac.uk/our-science/research-facility/solardomes-and-ozone-field-release-system
For publications, see http://www.researcherid.com/rid/J-2887-2012
- 2004 – date: Chairman of the UNECE International Cooperative Programme on Effects of Air Pollution on Natural Vegetation and Crops (ICP Vegetation), member of the Extended Bureau of the Working Group on Effects, UN Convention on Long-range Transboundary Air Pollution.
- 2006 - date Senior Scientific Officer (SSO), band 5, CEH Bangor.
- 1999 - 2006 Higher Scientific Officer (HSO), band 6, CEH Bangor.
- 1995 - 1999 Post-doctoral Research Officer, CEH and University of Wales, Bangor.
- 1993 - 1994 Lecturer, Technical College of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- 1992 - 1994 Assistant lecturer, Free University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands.
- PhD in Biology, Free University of Amsterdam, The Netherlands, 1993.
- Teacher training in Biology, Groningen, The Netherlands, 1985.
- Doctoral in Biology (equivalent to Msc), Groningen, The Netherlands, 1985.