Social Media: | Twitter,
Harry leads the Water Resources Systems Group at UKCEH. He is a hydrologist specialising in the measurement, management and assessment of hydrometric data. His research interests span hydrometry, hydrometric data processing and analysis, environmental / hydrological data management and the quantification and attribution of hydrological variability. He has extensive experience of working in the UK and internationally on projects related to the collection and management of hydrological data and information. Harry has an active involvement in water-related intergovernmental hydrology programmes under the UN framework and bilateral international science collaborations. Through this work he has experience of international-scale research and operational projects and policy development. Harry is an Honorary Professor in the School of Geography, Earth and Environmental Sciences at the University of Birmingham.
Harry has worked on projects across Europe, the Balkans, SE Asia and India in support of UKCEH's water related science areas and is actively involved in a number of international initiatives related to freshwater science and management.
Harry is a member of the World Meteorological Organization's (WMO) Hydrological Coordination Panel, helping deliver the Organization's activities in support of National Hydrological Services. He Chairs the Global Hydrometry Support Facility's Innovation Committee and has previously led regional level WMO activities on Data Operations and Management. Harry acts as Secretary to the UK Committee for International Hydrology (UKCIH) which incorporates the UK National Committee for the Intergovernmental Hydrological Programme of UNESCO. Through this role he helps coordinate UK input to both the UNESCO IHP and Hydrological Activities of WMO. Harry works closely with the UK National Commission for UNESCO and has led authorship of Policy Briefs for UK Government and the UNESCO community. He is a Governing Board Member for the University of Dundee's Centre for Water Law, Policy and Science.
Between 2016 and 2020, Harry was the UK lead for the India-UK Water Centre. He co-lead the establishment of the Centre on behalf of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) and Indian Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES) to foster long-term partnerships and dialogue between Indian and UK water researchers, water policy-makers and water businesses.
Other areas of Harry's work surround the wider management of hydrological and environmental data, both within the UK and internationally. He is a member of a British Standards Institution (BSi) Hydrometry Committee (CPI/113) and has experience of lead standards development in the areas of precipitation measurement and hydrometric data management. Between 2008 and 2016 much of Harry's work surrounded the UK National River Flow Archive (NRFA). He was Head of the NRFA between 2014 and 2016, leading improvements in the data centre’s operational activities as the UK’s national focal point for hydrometric data. He had responsibility for overseeing the NRFA's interaction with UK public sector hydrometric measuring authorities and coordinating activities in relation to the supply of data to the archive and onward data provision to the national and international user community. He oversaw integration of the UK's flood peak dataset into the NRFA.
Harry joined CEH in 2007 and has worked in a number of roles related to water science. He has a research background in the assessment of hydrological change and a PhD in hydrology from the University of Birmingham.
- PhD (Hydrology) The University of Birmingham
- BSc. (Hons) Geography The University of Birmingham
- 2019 - Present: World Meteorological Organization Hydrological Coordination Panel
- 2017 - Present: World Meteorological Organization Global Hydrometry Support Facility Advisory Council
- 2016 - 2019: World Meteorological Organization Commission for Hydrology Advisory Working Group
- 2014 - 2018: World Meteorological Organization RA VI Working Group for Climate and Hydrology
- 2013 - Present: Governing Board Member, Centre for Water Law Policy and Science, University of Dundee
- 2012 - 2019: World Meteorological Organization Open Panel of CHy (Commission for Hydrology) Experts
- 2012 - 2014: Honorary Secretary, British Hydrological Society
- 2009 - Present: British Standards Institution CPI/113 Hydrometry Standards Committee
- 2005 - Present: International Association of Hydrological Sciences (Surface Water)
- 2003 - Present: British Hydrological Society (Member)