Garry’s current research interests cover terrestrial biosphere and land-atmosphere interactions and the use of Earth Observation data for model evaluation. He is currently involved in a number of NERC projects concerning methane (Methane and other Greenhouse Gases in the Arctic, co-I, 2011-2015; Global Methane Highlight Topic, CEH PI, 2016-2020; Under-recognized Cold Season and Upland Tundra Arctic Methane Sources, co-I, 2016-2019), which use surface and satellite atmospheric methane measurements to assess and develop the methane wetland emission parameterisation in the JULES land surface model (https://jules.jchmr.org/). He is the PI of one of the NERC 1.5° Warming projects CLIFFTOP (Climate feedbacks from wetlands and permafrost thaw in a warming world).
Garry managed the ALANIS Methane project for the European Space Agency (http://www.alanis-methane.info) and is also a co-investigator for a GOSAT RA project. Garry is currently a member of the CarbonSat mission advisory group; CarbonSat is a candidate for the European Space Agency’s Earth Explorer 8 mission.
Garry has an extensive background in atmospheric science with over 25 years experience of atmospheric chemistry and air pollution issues. Over the years, he has worked on many of the topical issues of concern: polar ozone depletion (or ‘Ozone Holes’), acid deposition, photochemical oxidant formation in the lower troposphere and most recently on particulate matter. The research was initially laboratory-based but later became focussed on measurements and modelling.
- Land Surface modelling, Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (2009-present)
- Air Pollution modelling, National Physical Laboratory (2007-2009)
- Project Director - Air Pollution Modelling and Assessment, AEA Technology (2002-2006)
- Team Leader/Cost Centre Manager - Air Pollution, AEA Technology (1996-2002)
- Atmospheric Chemist, UKAEA/AEA Technology (1985-1996)
- DPhil (1986), University of Oxford, Thesis “High Resolution Infrared Spectroscopy”
- MA (1986), University of Oxford
- BA (First Class Honours) in Natural Sciences-Chemistry (1982), University of Oxford
- Chartered Scientist and Member of the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC)
- Member of NERC Peer Review College (2012-present)
- Member of the mission advisory group for CarbonSat, a candidate for the European Space Agency’s Earth Explorer 8 mission (2011-present).
- Member of Defra’s Air Quality Expert Group (2006-2009) and associate member (2008-2009) for the national assessment report prepared by the Defra-sponsored Review of Transboundary Air Pollution