At UKCEH we encourage applications from suitably qualified and experienced individuals, regardless of nationality, background, or location.

What is the Right to Work?

The right to work in the UK refers to the legal entitlement of individuals to engage in gainful employment. It encompasses the ability of both UK nationals and foreign nationals to work, provided they meet certain criteria outlined by the UK government.

Eligibility Criteria

The eligibility criteria for the right to work vary depending on an individual's immigration status. The government's official website,, provides detailed information on the different categories of workers and the specific requirements for each. It is crucial for individuals to familiarize themselves with the eligibility criteria relevant to their circumstances.

Where we can offer visa sponsorship, the successful candidate is responsible for getting the correct and valid permission to live and work in the UK. For mor information about your eligibility to live and work in the UK, please visit UK Visas and Immigration.

Make sure to plan ahead and secure the appropriate visa to ensure a smooth transition to your new role. For the most accurate and up-to-date information, individuals and employers are encouraged to visit the official government website or consult with legal professionals versed in immigration and employment law.

Useful information on living and working in the UK

Immigration Health Surcharge

You might need to pay a healthcare surcharge (called the ‘immigration health surcharge’ or IHS) as part of your immigration application.

Whether you need to pay depends on the immigration status you’re applying for and further information can be found here.

Income tax

Individuals earning income or employed in the UK typically find themselves obligated to fulfil UK income tax obligations. Distinct tax regulations in the UK dictate the collection of income tax, with variations in tax bands between Scotland and the rates applicable in England, Wales, and Northern Ireland.

All candidates will need to have registered and secured a National Insurance number. More information on Income Tax can be found at Income Tax: introduction: Overview (GOV.UK).

Council Tax

Council Tax serves as a local taxation framework in England, Scotland, and Wales. Properties in England and Scotland are categorized into eight bands (A to H), while those in Wales have nine bands (A to I), determined by their respective property values. The tax is then established as a fixed amount for each band, with a direct correlation between the band and the corresponding tax amount—higher bands incurring higher taxes.

Further information on Council Tax can be found at How Council Tax works: Working out your Council Tax (GOV.UK).

Pension contribution

Employers in the UK are required by law to auto enrol all employees on to a Workplace pension scheme, although employees do have the option to ‘opt out’. Further information on Employer Pensions can be found at Workplace pensions - what your employer can and cannot do (GOV.UK).

UK address and bank account

A UK address will be required before employment for payroll and pension registration. This doesn’t need to be a permanent address.

Applicants will require a UK bank account before starting employment with UKCEH.

Finding a property

There are many websites that can support you in finding somewhere to live in the UK such as Right Move, Zoopla, On the Market and others. These sites are also a good research tool to help you calculate the cost of living in the UK.

In England you will need to prove your right to rent but you won’t need to prove your right to rent in Wales or Scotland.

Diversity and inclusion

Diversity is at the heart of UKCEH, and we celebrate the richness of backgrounds and perspectives that our international workforce brings. Join a community that values and promotes diversity and inclusion. Participate in our staff network groups, engage in diversity events, and contribute to a workplace where everyone feels heard, respected, and empowered to succeed.

Find a job at UKCEH

Our current vacancies are detailed at the link below and can be filtered based on our locations, job type and if the role is full or part time.

Contact us