CEH is working on the production of Land Cover Map 2015 (LCM2015), due for completion later this year.
2015 marked 25 years of Land Cover Mapping in CEH. National-scale land cover mapping began in 1990 with LCM1990, continued with LCM2000 and then LCM2007. The series has recently been complemented by the CEH Land Cover® plus: Crop Map and will soon be joined by LCM2015.
- LCM2015 will map 22 land cover classes.
- The classes will be the same as LCM2007, but excluding Rough Grassland.
- A straightforward comparison of LCM2007 with LCM2015 will not accurately indicate change. Detecting change is complex; however, CEH’s new techniques have been designed with change detection in mind so we anticipate improvements in the future.
- A new, quicker methodology* means that LCM2015 can be released faster than previous Land Cover Maps.
* LCM2007 used manually identified training areas and a maximum likelihood classification algorithm (see the LCM2007 Final Report for full details). For LCM2015, training areas were selected automatically using patterns from historical land cover maps, followed by classification using a Random Forest classifier.
- It is called LCM2015 because it is based primarily on satellite data acquired during 2015.
- LCM2015 will cover the whole of the UK.
- LCM2015 will be available in vector format, as well as raster (25m and 1km) formats (like LCM2007).
- LCM2015 will be based primarily on Landsat-8 data, so there is no difference in spatial resolution compared to LCM2007.
- Sentinel-2 data was not used because it only began routinely acquiring calibrated data at the end of 2015.
- Production of LCM2015 will finish towards the end of 2016. It is due for release in spring 2017.
- LCM2015 will be available under licence via the CEH Data Licensing Team.
- LCM2015 will be accessible via the CEH Environmental Information Platform.
- It will be available for academic research, educational use, non-commercial use, commercial use, personal use, Value Added Reselling and innovation.
- Price will be based on the use to which the data will be put (eg. academic research, commercial use), the data format and the area required.
- For more information, please contact the CEH Data Licensing Team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- If you would like to receive announcements by email, please contact email@example.com with ‘LCM2015 email list’ as the subject.