- Science communication
- Graphic design
- Environmental observation and change
Science communicator, particularly supporting and developing CEH's activities in relation to long-term monitoring and research, and focussing on communicating our research outputs and facilities with a broad range of stakeholders. This includes developing strategic approaches to communication and using graphic design skills to create communication tools and outputs (websites, publications, leaflets, videos, etc.).
Current activities include:
- Science Liaison Officer for the Environmental Change Network, responsible for developing and implementing ECN's communication and PR strategy and supporting the development of the network
- Member of the UK Environmental Observation Framework secretariat, responsible for the UKEOF communication strategy and activities
- Development of long-term ecosystem monitoring in Europe and globally, particularly in relation to communication issues. Leads eLTER H2020 project's WP5, and active in Advance_eLTER, which aims to secure eLTER as an ESFRI Research Infrastructure. Created and now manages the LTER-Europe website and has written and contributed to communication strategies for LTER networks
- Member of ALTER-Net research network's Management Board, a European ecosystem research network. Portfolio: Communications. Led the development and delivery of the ALTER-Net communication strategy. Developed and now manages the ALTER-Net website and related digital communication channels (e.g. social media channels like Twitter & LinkedIn)
- Project Administrator and lead on outreach for CEH's Natural Capital Metrics project (2016-18)
- Leads and/or contributes to communication Work Packages of EU-funded projects: eLTER (website, social media, news articles, e-newsletter, leading stakeholder interaction & communication WP); ROBIN (finished 2015; website, social media, news articles, developing communication material); INTERACT (finished in 2014; responsible for web-based outreach); ExpeER (finished in 2014; Comms Team member)
Previously Andy was Secretary for Countryside Survey 2000, Manager of the NERC Soil Biodiversity Thematic Programme and co-founder of an art-science-education project called Climate Change Explorer. He joined CEH in 2000.
Keywords: communication, web development, graphic design, photography, illustration, publications, desktop publishing, writing, proof-reading, editing, project management, strategy development, social media, Adobe, PhotoShop, InDesign, Illustrator, Twitter, LinkedIn, Facebook, Plone, collaboration, botany, mosses, liverworts, bryophytes, surveying, fieldwork
- BSc (Biochemistry)
- PhD (plant physiology)