While each UKCEH science infrastructure has its own particular scientific purpose and capabilities, our whole portfolio is strategically planned and managed to enable integrated research across the whole land-based environment.
Our science infrastructures are designed individually and collectively to provide comprehensive environmental measurements in order to:
- Address the most important UK and global strategic goals and challenges.
- Reveal and predict environmental processes, interconnections, status and change across all scales: from local field or city to landscape to national scale.
- Study the whole UK environmental system, encompassing different land use and habitat types: land, soil, water and air; uplands and lowlands; urban and rural; agriculture and woodland; and so on.
- Provide broad-scale coverage of the UK and its landscapes as whole systems.
- Provide intensive, in-depth measurement of specific environmental systems, habitats and land-uses.