The Analytical Chemistry facility at our Wallingford site is based within the Chiltern Wing laboratories.
These laboratories provide high quality chemistry data for the Thames Initiative project. Using many different methods, specialist staff analyse water samples for a range of chemicals. This data then helps inform a range of CEH projects with both internal and external collaborators.
Data produced for the Thames Initiative project include:
- Phosphorus – Total phosphorus (TP), total dissolved phosphorus (TDP), soluble reactive phosphorus (SRP)
- Nitrogen – Total dissolved nitrogen (TDN), NO3, NO2 and NH4
- Dissolved silicon
- Carbon – Dissolved organic carbon (DOC)
- Major anions – F, Cl, Br, SO4
- Major cations – Na, K, Ca, Mg, B
- Metals – Fe, Mn, Zn, Cu, Al
- Suspended solids
- Gran Alkalinity
- Seal Analytical AA3 colorimetric spectrophotometer (x2)
- Varian Cary colorimetric spectrophotometer
- Dionex Ion Chromatograph
- Isoprime Elementar thermal oxidizer
- Perkin Elmer Inductively Coupled Plasma – Optical Emission Spectrophotometer
- Beckman UV spectrophotometer
- Linda Armstrong (Analytical Chemist)
- Heather Wickham (Analytical Chemist)
Please contact Mike Bowes for more information.
- Research Facility