PC-IHACRES can assist hydrologists and water resource engineers. Its applications include:
- investigations in small catchments instrumented for special studies
- regional studies using larger catchments
- quality assurance of strategically important streamflow and rainfall records.
PC-IHACRES can be used in higher education as a teaching aid for unit hydrograph theory and application.
It was developed jointly by the Centre for Ecology & Hydrology and the Centre for Resource and Environmental Studies at the Australian National University.
Key features and uses include:
- identification of unit hydrographs (UHs)
- continuous time series streamflow modelling
- environmental impacts detection - hydrological regime studies
- runoff event modelling
- hydrograph separation (e.g. to assist with water quality investigations)
- derivation of a Slow Flow Index (SFI), analogous to Base Flow Index (BFI)
- derivation of Dynamic Response Characteristics (DRCs)
- DRC - Physical Catchment Descriptor (PCDs) studies (regionalization)
- teaching aid for unit hydrograph (UH) theory and its applications
- hydrometric data quality assurance/control (QA/QC)
- infilling missing streamflow data
The PC-IHACRES software is available to download free of charge. The download includes the 94-page user guide with tutorials and other documents.