Our LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 products map 21 UKCEH Land Cover Classes based on UK Biodiversity Action Plan (BAP) Broad Habitats. These are the first land cover maps to be produced from new methodologies which enable annual land cover map production.
All three land cover maps are directly comparable, enabling the detection of land cover change.
Technical details and mapping techniques
- LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 cover the whole of the UK.
- LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 map 21 land cover classes. The classes are the same as LCM2015 and are detailed in the Dataset Documentation.
- LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 are directly comparable and so can be used for change detection.
- A rapid classification methodology means that future land cover maps will be released annually.
- LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 use the same land parcel spatial framework as LCM2015 and the CEH Land Cover® plus: Crops dataset.
- LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 are available in a number of formats:
- 20m Classified Pixel datasets
- 25m Pixel Rasterised Land Parcel datasets
- Vector Land Parcel datasets
Further details on LCM2019, LCM2018 and LCM2017 are available in the Dataset Documentation (zip file).
Obtaining UKCEH’s Land Cover Maps
Academic research: All of UKCEH’s Land Cover Maps are available for free to users of the EDINA Environment Digimap service which includes staff and students at over 100 UK further and higher education establishments.
Non-commercial use of raster data: All of UKCEH’s raster Land Cover Maps (all 20m, 25m and 1km raster datasets) are available to download and use for free for non-commercial organisations and their contractors from the UKCEH Environmental Information Platform.
Internal business use: All of UKCEH’s Land Cover Maps are available for Internal Business Use under licence and subject to payment of a licence fee. Please make a request using the form below or telephone +44 (0)1491 692716 for more information.
Innovation use and value-added reselling: UKCEH encourages use of its intellectual property in value added products and services. Our intellectual property can be made available without charge for Innovation use in order to allow feasibility studies and the development of products and services prior to arranging a bespoke value-added reseller agreement. Please make a request using the form below or telephone +44 (0)1491 692716 for more information.