Understanding today’s environmental challenges requires the marshalling of world-wide information and data. Scientific, commercial and societal objectives depend on high quality data and analysis tools. CEH is developing increasingly sophisticated tools and services to manage and secure data for the long term, to deliver improved accessibility, visualisation and reuse of data, and to enable the integration and interoperability of heterogeneous datasets.
- Data management
- Data management planning, guidance & support
- Environmental data curation
- Multi-platform applications development
- Web-based data portals, catalogues and services
- Semantic integration; vocabulary and ontology development; Linked Open Data approaches
- Data standards definition and implementation (e.g. INSPIRE)
- Design, implementation and review of environmental monitoring networks
- Design and delivery of data management for international environmental monitoring networks
- IT/IS Programme and Project Management (PRINCE2, MSP, Agile)
Environmental applications development
- Development of distributed data management infrastructures
- Bespoke software tools for data discovery, visualisation and analysis
- Information products encompassing national-scale mapping and model outputs
- Development of field-based data capture systems for large-scale environmental survey
- Mobile applications
Training and capability building
- Data management training and knowledge transfer
- Overseas capacity incorporating informatics to underpin environmental research
- Continuing Professional Development (CPD) and professional training
- University student courses/modules
- CEH manages the Environmental Information Data Centre, the UK’s data centre for terrestrial and freshwater sciences, which provides long-term management and curation of research datasets and delivery to the scientific community and other stakeholders.
- CEH developed the UKEOF catalogue containing more than 1200 records of environmental observations by public and third sector organisations. The catalogue provides a unique management tool to underpin the activities and requirements of the environmental observation community.
- CEH co-developed the Indicia toolkit to deliver an online biological recording solution and simplify the construction of websites. Indicia supports wildlife observation recording forms, allowing photo upload, reporting, mapping and verification of the records.
- CEH co-developed a suite of citizen science environmental recording apps including mySoil for crowdsourcing and sharing soils data, iRecord Apps encompassing ladybirds, butterflies, crickets and grasshoppers, and mammal tracker and plant tracker.
- Data from sensor and research network implementation and management, as exemplified by COSMOS, the European Long-term Ecological Research (LTER) network and NERC Research Programmes including Macronutrients, Human-modified Tropical Forests and Biodiversity & Ecosystem Service Sustainability.
- CEH is leading the £1 million development of the NERC Environmental Research Workbench, which will allow scientists access to large computing and storage facilities in the cloud through an easy to use interface to access a range of cloud based tools, models and data.
- CEH developed field-based tablets to collect data for Countryside Survey, accelerating reporting, improving data quality and an estimated saving of £700k.
- INSPIRE UK Location Programme Expert Panel on Metadata standards
- Hydrological data management training run internationally, including in Southern and Eastern Africa, South Asia (Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal), Egypt and the Caribbean.
Dr Colin Mackechnie
Business Development Manager
Tel: +44 (0)1491 838800