The Bangor laboratories provide high quality chemistry data to a range of research projects. The group has expertise in water quality analysis, physical and chemical soil analysis, and greenhouse gas analysis. In particular, they provide analysis in response to event samplings of freshwater catchments in north Wales, and the preparation and analysis of soil and peat samples collected from across Wales as part of the Glastir Monitoring and Evaluation Programme.
The group also provides sample preparation and a selected range of analyses for our long term landscape research platforms (eg Plynlimon, Conwy, lowland peats network, long term Clocaenog climate change experiment and the Upland Waters Monitoring Network) and our future climate exposure facilities, with other analyses passed to our Lancaster facility.
In addition, the laboratories provide analytical training and support to PhD students associated with CEH's Bangor site, as well as to other students and visiting scientists.
The Bangor laboratories participate in the LGC AquaCheck Proficiency Testing quality assurance scheme for water analysis to ensure quality and consistency of results with other laboratories.
Greenhouse gases: methane, carbon dioxide, nitrous oxide, gas headspace of waters.
Soil chemistry: pH, loss on ignition, phosphorous, equilibrium phosphate concentration at zero sorption (EPC0), Olsen P, phosphate sorption index (PSI), mineralisable N, sulphate adsorption and desorption isotherms, exchangeable base cations, acidity, aluminium.
Soil physical properties: aggregate stability, soil-water retention properties, particle size distribution (under development).
Waters: pH, alkalinity, conductivity, total carbon, total inorganic carbon, non-purgeable organic carbon, total nitrogen, silica, phosphate, ammonium, total organic nitrogen, sulphate, nitrate, chloride, bromide, SRP (soluble reactive phosphorous), total dissolved phosphate, calcium magnesium, potassium, sodium, iron, manganese.
- Perkin Elmer Clarus 500 Gas Chromatograph and Turbomatrix 40 headspace autosampler
- Thermalox TC/TN/TIC
- Dionex DX-120 Ion Chromatograph
- Metrohm Titrando Auto-titrator
- Perkin Elmer AA400 Atomic Absorption Spectrophotometer
- Cecil UV Spectrophotometer
- SEAL AQ2+ Discrete Analyser
- Skalar Autoanalyser
- UMS-HyProp water retention curve
- Eijkelkamp wet sieving apparatus
- Beckman Coulter LS1330 Particle size analyser (under development for soils)
- Steven Hughes (Analytical Chemistry Manager)
- Gaynor Barrett (Analytical Chemist)
- Inma Robinson (Analytical Chemist)
- Jane Hall (Laboratory Manager)
Please contact Jane Hall for further information.
- Research Facility