The Strategy for Allied Radioecology (STAR) network of excellence is a European Commission-funded project aimed at influencing the future course of radioecology science.
STAR aims to:
- approach radioecology science in a new, integrated way
- address complex research priorities that only a consortium of partners can accomplish
- influence the future direction of research via a long-term strategic research agenda
- educate stakeholders about the value of radioecology science
- inspire young people to take part in radioecology science
STAR involves nine organisations from eight countries and features seven interlinked work packages. A vital role of the project is to develop a transition plan towards sustainability and long-term funding for radioecological research, infrastructure and training and education. The project is coordinated by Dr Tom Hinton of the French Institute of Radiation Protection & Nuclear Safety.