The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology has just launched the CEH Information Gateway, a new web portal that provides researchers and the wider public with quick, easy and direct access to a diverse range of environmental data.
The Gateway is the first major output of the Environmental Information Data Centre (EIDC), the NERC Data Centre for the Freshwater and Terrestrial Sciences. The EIDC hosts a wide variety of datasets including many nationally and often globally unique long-term datasets. It brings together data facilities such as the Biological Record Centre, the National River Flow Archive, the UK Environmental Change Network, Countryside Survey and the NERC Environmental Bioinformatics Centre.
The Gateway allows users to:
- Search the data catalogue and read descriptions of the nature and scope of datasets
- View, access and overlay maps of key spatial datasets
- Download key datasets in seconds (subject to terms and conditions of use)
- Create a personal account to save search terms and give feedback on dataset usability
Some 180 metadata records can currently be seen on the Gateway and more than 50 datasets can be downloaded directly, including:
- National River Flow Archive: UK Hydrometric Register (2005)
- Environmental Change Network chemistry, hydrometeorological and biodiversity data (1994-present)
- Land Cover Map UK 2000 (1km)
- Countryside Survey habitat and hedgerow data (15km grid)
- Plynlimon research catchments: soil map, stream hydrochemistry and 20 other Plynlimon datasets
Gwyn Rees, Director of the EIDC, said, “The Gateway provides a shop window for CEH-held data: an invaluable resource for the sharing of data with the entire research community and wider public, and one that should stimulate loads of new research.”
Related CEH Links
Access the gateway