We wish to recruit an outstanding model integration scientist to play a leading role in the new NERC-funded Hydro-JULES programme which will create a community hydrological model for next-generation land-surface and hydrological science in the UK.
About the role
Delivered by CEH in partnership with the British Geological Survey and the National Centre for Atmospheric Science, the Hydro-JULES programme will develop a state-of the art terrestrial hydrological model to couple to the JULES land-surface model and related hydrological models.
This is an exciting opportunity for a ground-breaking scientist to work at the interface between weather, climate and hydrological science. You will be responsible for the design and implementation of key interfaces between atmospheric, hydrological and groundwater models and will be required to collaborate with scientists and computational modellers from partner organisations.
- Lead the design and development of the Hydro-JULES model, taking responsibility for the release of code, data and model configurations within a version-controlled environment.
- Manage the design implementation of flexible interfaces between model components and between the hydrological model and other Earth system model components
- Lead the development of protocols for testing, evaluating and benchmarking the model and its components, and maintain model documentation
- Lead the publication of technical reports and scientific papers in highly-ranked peer-reviewed academic journals
- Contribute to the design of an open access repository to define and store model options and configurations and provide managed access via JASMIN and national HPC facilities
- Participate in internationally-coordinated hydrological and Earth system model experiments
- Offer strategic leadership to CEH scientists in the development of ideas for new research activity and prepare proposals for research funding, including externally funded grants and fellowships
- Initiate collaborative engagements with partner institutes and universities.
- You will have a relevant PhD (or MSc with equivalent research experience) with a strong record, commensurate with career stage, of computational modelling in hydrological, atmospheric or land-surface science.
- You must have a record of scientific publication in internationally-excellent journals with ability to propose and develop new theoretical approaches and implement them in a high-level scientific programming language.
- You should have proven ability to produce high-quality work of the highest standards and to tight deadlines.
- An aptitude for and experience of working in interdisciplinary research teams with excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc247150_8870.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact them by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
The interview date for this position is 7th January 2019