The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) delivers world-class solutions to the most complex environmental challenges facing humankind by partnering with governments, industry and society to pursue and apply cutting edge environmental observation and analysis. CEH is the UK's longstanding Centre of Excellence for integrated research in terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems and their interaction with the atmosphere. Operating from four UK locations, CEH employs 360 scientists and has a £40m annual budget. A growing proportion of this budget and staff time is directed overseas and CEH aims to continue this work as an independent, not-for-profit research institute (Company Limited by Guarantee with Charitable status) later in 2019.
About the role
We are looking for an enthusiastic and committed Science Programme Officer to provide essential support for the successful delivery of two high profile National Capability programmes (UK-SCAPE and SUNRISE) at our Wallingford site. This is an excellent opportunity to apply project management across a broad range of environmental science monitoring and research activities. The role is located within a dedicated programme office with a focus on coordination and monitoring of activity across multi-disciplinary teams. An appreciation of the programmes outcomes and an enthusiasm for the science areas being researched is vital.
- A good degree (2:1) (preferably science or business related) or relevant skills and knowledge essential for this role.
- You should have an skills in application of formal project/programme management from your previous experience.
- You take a methodical approach to routine tasks and achieve a high level of accuracy; possess an eye for detail and apply an appropriate approach to quality management.
- An ability to work independently, managing your own time effectively to deliver long and short term tasks to agreed deadlines is essential.
- You possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills that enable you to interact effectively with people at all levels across the organization and with stakeholders.
- Having some familiarity with modern modes of communication (videoconference and teleconference) and an enthusiasm for learning new IT systems and approaches (websites, databases, applications for document storage and sharing; social media) as the need arises.
- You take an efficient approach in the preparation of internal reports and documents due to your skills in using MS Office (primarily Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- You will have a fantastic opportunity to travel overseas should the need arise to attend occasional meetings and conferences of short duration, therefore a willingness to travel is essential.
Able to demonstrate a commitment to promote and adhere to CEH values of Excellence, Integrity and Team work. Information on CEH’s values is available here.
We offer a flexible and supportive working environment and will encourage your continuing professional development as part of our career support.
How to Apply
To apply, email your completed application form and the equal opportunities monitoring form (attached below) to: email@example.com
Interviews will be held on 13 September 2019
** Please note, successful applicant should be available to commence employment on or before the 30th September**