About the role
Are you interested in gaining practical experience of working within a research institute, helping manage large scale, long term ecological datasets?
The post will be a Research Associate in the Land Use Group based at CEH Lancaster and provides an exciting opportunity to work on the management and use of large scale, long-term terrestrial datasets. You will undergo extensive training and undertake project work on a range of projects aimed at further understanding the relationships between plant species, soils habitats and landscape features and environmental drivers.
- management and use of data from unique large scale long term surveys
- helping to prepare ‘data’ and survey materials for field survey in UKSCAPE (Maps, plot maps, square details)
- working with senior land use scientists to prepare and manipulate data using a range of software applications for answering key science and policy questions around biodiversity, land use change and ecosystem service delivery
- basic ecological data analysis with support from our group statistician
- the use of GIS to record, manipulate and analyse spatial data.
You will be a graduate with an interest in, and some experience of, manipulating and analysing ecological data. You will have an interest in landscape ecology with an aptitude for data analysis and interpretation. Your degree will be a min 2.1 in Ecology or Environmental Science and ideally you will have a Master’s degree. You will have a basic understanding of analysis software (preferably R). You will have good communication skills, including an ability to write clear and concise reports, and be able to work well within a team.
You will be able to demonstrate a commitment to promote and adhere to CEH values of Excellence, Integrity and Team work. Information on CEH’s values is available here.
Through your training programme, you will gain greater skills in data management and manipulation in an ecological context. You will work on multi-disciplinary projects and gain skills in scientific report writing.
How to Apply
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at http://topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc248945_9340.aspx. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
Interviews will take place on 30 May 2019.