Are you interested in developing data science skills and using these to improve our understanding of the environment?
The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) is part of the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC) and is the UK's Centre of Excellence for integrated research in terrestrial and freshwater ecosystems and their interaction with the atmosphere. The CEH Research Associates’ programme provides individuals the opportunity to gain practical experience of working within a Research Institute, whilst acquiring - through a structured 3 year programme -specialist and wider skills that will be valuable in a range of careers.
This role provides an exciting opportunity to support the CEH Science Strategy through developing new data science capabilities for analysis and interpretation of data, and to design and implement systems to enable integrated storage, processing and exploitation of CEH scientific data resources.
You will be mentored to research and develop data science tools and techniques for data and integrated analysis e.g. for heterogeneous data from integrated environmental monitoring and modelling activities, develop informatics capabilities to support CEH science and collaborate with researchers within data intensive projects to produce new and innovative methods and tools for environmental science.
Skills and knowledge required on appointment:
- A degree level qualification (2.1 minimum) in a computational and/or numerical science discipline and either a PhD or MSc and post-degree experience in automated data systems development.
- Knowledge of design and development of automated data synthesis and analysis pipelines, preferably within scientific research
- Ability to work effectively within an informatics team and communicate technical concepts to environmental scientists
- Ability to initiate new ideas and collaborations with scientists to address environmental data science requirements
- Ability to work independently to meet project targets and deadlines
- Ability to process and transform data using scripting languages such as Python
- Knowledge of computational techniques for data analysis such as machine learning
To work for CEH, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
How to apply:
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services; to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc246970_8772.aspx
Please ensure that you complete an application form as CVs will not be accepted as a standalone. The form should be uploaded via the "My Account" menu option on the "Jobs Home" page. Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on 01793 867000, please quote reference number IRC246970.
Interview date: 19 November 2018
The Natural Environment Research Council is part of UK Research and Innovation. For more information visit www.ukri.org. CEH is planning to move outside the public sector to become a not-for-profit research organisation with charitable status.