Are you looking for an opportunity to develop your HR career? The Centre for Ecology and Hydrology (CEH) is working towards an exciting transition to become an independent research centre and currently has a role available within the busy People & Skills function: the role will contribute to the smooth running of the HR team by providing advice and support to staff and management in CEH’s 4 sites across the UK.
This role is a fixed term appointment (Maternity Cover) for 15 months, working part time (22.2 hours pw), Wednesday, Thursday and Friday. The salary shown is the full time equivalent, and will therefore be pro-rated accordingly.
This role includes: providing advice on HR policies and procedures, employment law; managing recruitment campaigns for professional and support roles; working with a Shared Business Service (SBS) who deliver an administration service for recruitment & payroll on behalf of CEH & supporting managers with preparing reports and data/information for committees and meetings. as required and People and Skills at CEH offers supportive team working and excellent development opportunities. You will have a good understanding of HR issues and a confidential and sensitive approach. There is the potential for a permanent role at the end of this period.
If you have a an HR qualification at CPP level or have a similar level of HR knowledge; or excellent administration experience and you have degree level qualification or equivalent knowledge and ability please visit our CEH website to apply or find out more about the opportunities to join us at CEH.
- Provide advice and support to managers and employees on NERC, CEH and SBS HR policies and procedures as required
- Process changes to contracts for staff, and process approvals for visitors and unpaid contractual arrangements. Assist staff to address problems, contractual queries and process issues arising from their interaction with SBS.
- Responsibility for the management of the HR team email inbox, dealing directly with enquiries or forwarding emails to colleagues in the People & Skills team for action.
- Undertake administration and progress vacancies for recruitment with line managers and SBS under supervision of B6 HR Advisors and participate in recruitment interviews up to B6 level as required
- Provide support to HR Partners and Head of People & Skills in obtaining management information from the Oracle database, and ensure action of contractual and payroll changes in line with pay cut off dates
- Provide support to HR Partners and Head of People & Skills in handling employee relations issues including taking notes at meetings as required
- With other members of the team provide Oracle user support to colleagues
- Involvement in projects as required relating to legislative changes - such as GDPR regulations, government initiatives - such as introduction of apprenticeship training programmes, and ongoing improvements to existing HR processes.
- Time Management: Must be able to manage a varied workload and regularly review priorities to meet deadlines.
- Organisation: Proven ability to take responsibility for tasks within a project or service. Needs to juggle multiple priorities to achieve regular monthly tasks, quarterly results and ad hoc work. Must be able to maintain focus despite regular interruption with ad hoc queries from staff. Knows when to seek advice and guidance when solving problems.
- Numeracy: Good basic numeracy skills required for working with figures (e.g. overtime forms) and analysis of data for management information (e.g. absence monitoring)
- Communication:Able to communicate clearly and with confidence to staff at all levels both in writing and orally. Must be empathetic and able to support staff and managers coping with sensitive and difficult situations - manner and communication style is key.
- Attention to detail: Proven ability in delivering accurate detailed work. Must demonstrate sound administrative skills to undertake the role including taking minutes or comprehensive notes at sensitive or formal meetings
- Efficiency focus: Understands the importance of budgetary control and value for money. Able to provide an efficient approach to the delivery of a service.
- IT: Must be confident and have experience of using office IT systems with extensive use of Word and Excel. Must be able to handle personal data appropriately.
- Team working: Makes active contributions and provides support to other team members. Must be flexible regarding tasks and resilient to change with a proven ability to support a wide range of HR work, including covering for absent colleagues and dealing with a wide range of queries and activities.
- Willing to travel: There will be exciting opportunities to travel to support recruitment interviews, meetings, site visits etc. at other CEH sites throughout the UK, so willingness to travel is essential.
- Previous Experience: Will have good knowledge and understanding of the challenges of operating within a small HR team
- A HR qualification at CPP level or ability to demonstrate similar level of HR knowledge or excellent demonstrable administration experience
- A degree level qualification or equivalent knowledge and ability
To work for CEH, you must be eligible to live and work in the UK.
How to apply:
Please send a your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org
NO AGENCIES PLEASE