About the Role
The post resides within CEH’s centralised laboratory which specialises in low level analyses of a wide range of environmental samples for organic and inorganic analytes and stable isotopes of carbon and nitrogen. The post is required to conduct chemical analysis in environmental samples in a wide range of matrices from water to soils, biota, etc. Duties include sample preparation and analysis of nutrients, metals, isotopes and organic compounds.
Responsibilities will also involve general maintenance of equipment and instrumentation; maintaining a good laboratory environment; purchasing of general equipment and reagents. The post holder will also be expected to work within the laboratory’s quality system and ISO 17025.
Skills and qualifications required
- A degree (2:1) in Environmental Chemistry and/or at least 3 years’ experience in an accredited laboratory
- Relevant analytical skills including competence in organic chemical analyses.This will include proven skills in: GCMS, or/and GCMS/MS or/and LCMS/MS as well as sample preparation techniques for organic analyses.
- Relevant analytical skills including competence in inorganic analyses.This will include proven skills as nutrients measurements, determination of physical properties (such as pH, conductivity), moisture content and loss of ignition and the operation of automated techniques: e.g. alkalinity, ion chromatography, automated colorimetry, carbon and nitrogen analyser and an elemental analyser.
- Experience of working in a laboratory accredited to ISO 17025:2005 will be beneficial, however full training will be given in the quality system and laboratory safety
- Able to work independently, manage own time effectively, and to
- demonstrate flexibility and adaptability
- Scientifically numerate and with good mathematical and IT skills
- to promote and adhere to CEH values of Excellence, Integrity and Team work. Information on CEH’s values is available here.
How to Apply
Applicants are required to include a cover letter outlining their suitability for this role.
Applications are handled by UK Shared Business Services, to apply please visit our job board at http://www.topcareer.jobs/Vacancy/irc249356_9423.aspx Applicants who are unable to apply online should contact us by telephone on +44 (0)1793 867000.
Interviews will be held on the 25th June