We are looking for a post-doctoral scientist with a proven knowledge of plant community ecology to work within a team of scientists from CEH Edinburgh, Bristol University, Reading University and Scotland’s Rural College on a project that involves assessment of silvopastoral systems in Colombia.
Main Duties and Responsibilities
- You will work closely with external stakeholders, such as Colombian collaborators at CIAT and University of Amazonas.
- You will be primarily concerned with Plant Communities in pastures and forest, and will work alongside botanists, entomologists, social scientists and economists to understand the Biodiversity of silvopastoral systems and the impact on farmer’s livelihoods in Colombia.
- You will primarily work at CEH in Edinburgh UK but will also be required to conduct fieldwork in Colombia for several months.
- You will have a PhD in a relevant field or similar scientific experience in tropical plant ecology.
- You will have experience of working in tropical forest environments and possess taxonomic skills, the ability to identify tropical plant taxa including trees and herbaceous plants.
- You will have a demonstrable ability to speak and write in Spanish.
- You will possess the ability to run projects, design field experiments, and construct and undertake statistical analyses in R.
- You will have a track-record of research in plant community ecology, and have demonstrated innovative ideas and published in plant ecology.
- You must be able to demonstrate a commitment to promote and adhere to CEH values of Excellence, Integrity and Team work.
- You will possess a willingness to travel to Columbia to conduct field work.
- A proven ability to manipulate and analyse large scale spatial datasets.
- Experience of research in remote areas of tropical countries.
How to Apply
Please email your completed CV and covering letter, expressing your interest in the role and how you meet the essential requirements of the role to firstname.lastname@example.org
For further information and informal discussion, contact Jill Thompson: email@example.com
Please note for this role we are not able to sponsor candidates who do not have a right to work in the UK.
Interviews for this post will be held between 1-4 October.