Social Media: | Twitter,
I am Atmospheric Composition group leader in the Biosphere-Atmosphere Interactions Science Area. My research interests cover rural and urban air quality with a focus on ammonia and reactive nitrogen species. I work with long term observations and experiments, and with low and high tech instrumentation. I am interested in measurements, modelling and process studies to quantify processes and impacts of the current atmospheric chemical climate.
Atmospheric Composition group:
AC Group associated students: Claudia Steadman
Alumni: Sarah Pilkington-Greenwood, Chris Malley, Megan Galloway
UK Eutrophying and Acidifying Atmospheric Pollutants (UKEAP): Project Coordinator of the UKEAP monitoring network and UK EMEP Supersites.
I help develop the atmospheric science measurement strategy at Auchencorth Moss, WMO-GAW Regiona station, UK EMEP Supersite and atmosperhic observatory. platform
CEH Project lead for EMRP MetNH3 project running from 2014-2017, undertaking research to improve standards in ammonia metrology.
On-going research project covering:
- Development and maintenance of screening tools for assessing impacts of trace gas point sources
- Development & deployment of instrumentation and samplers for measurement of trace gases and aerosols.
- Volcano plume impacts in the UK: surface measurements and response planning
2008–current NERC Centre for Ecology and Hydrology
2004-2008 NERC Postdoctoral Research Associate:
- Halogen chemistry in volcanic plumes (3 yr PDRA 2005-2008)
- Phase transitions of model tropospheric aerosol
- Heterogeneous chemistry of reactive species on model tropospheric aerosol
1999-2004 PhD studies and Teaching Assistant
1996-1999 Higher Scientific Officer, Chemical and Biological Defence, DERA
1995 MSc Thesis: Development of a flow-reactor for the removal of nitrate from water
2004 PhD, Environmental Chemistry, University of Toronto, Canada
1995 MSc, Analytical Chemistry, University of Aberdeen, UK
1994 BA Hons, Metallurgy and the Science of Materials, University of Oxford, UK (2ii)
Institute of Environmental Sciences
Royal Meteorological Society
American and European Geophysical Unions