The Centre for Ecology & Hydrology (CEH) is a world-class scientific research institute, and part of the Natural Environment Research Council. CEH has 4 research sites across the UK, with the Wallingford site being the main site, hosting over 400 staff, including the Corporate Office functions and tenants, within offices and modern purpose built laboratory facilities.
We are looking for a Linux Desktop Support Analyst to join the local IT support team at our Wallingford site to provide front line Linux desktop and some first line Linux server support to environmental scientists, as well as offering support to more General helpdesk support queries. The post offers the opportunity to work in a varied and simulating environment working in close association with scientific staff on site and with IT colleagues across our 4 sites.
Main duties will include:
- Support of Linux distributions, patching servers and other Linux based support
- Support of Linux applications including: R, Python, Shell scripting
- Basic desktop and remote access tools (e.g. PuTTY, NX, X2Go)
- Being the first point of contact for any Linux issues and escalating as required
- General (non-Linux) helpdesk support duties as required including PC applications, printers, video conferencing etc.
- You will be able to demonstrate effective IT support skills and be able to manage a number of concurrent tasks, prioritizing and escalating as required.
- Although you will be working as part of a team you will also need to be able to work independently and manage your own time effectively.
- You must be able to communicate effectively with CEH staff at all levels, and able to explain technical issues clearly to a non-specialist audience.
Demonstrated skills in the following technical areas are also required:
- Must be comfortable with the Linux command line (not just GUIs)
- First line support experience (preferably in a Linux environment)
- Linux server patching
- Methodical approach to trouble shooting
- Basic networking
- IT security principles including firewalls
CEH offer a variety of employee benefits including a public sector pension scheme, 30 days' annual leave and 10/.5 days public and privilege holiday per annum. We offer a flexible and supportive working environment and will encourage your continuing professional development as part of our career support.
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. There will be a telephone interview as first round, and following that the second round will be an interview at our site in Wallingford.