CEH are the leading UK organisation for long-term monitoring of the environment – measuring all aspects of the water cycle, soils, greenhouse gases, and ecology. These long-term datasets are essential for improved quantification, understanding and modelling of the land surface and its response to change both in the UK and overseas, ultimately informing managers and policymakers of better options for a broad range of environmental challenges. We operate a large number of continuous environmental field monitoring stations, including weather stations, river water quality and flow monitoring, and state-of-the-art eddy covariance systems.
We are now seeking an experienced mechanical workshop technician to produce bespoke scientific research field and laboratory equipment in our Engineering Workshop, for example mounting brackets for river flow gauging, which services the needs of scientists across all CEH sites. You will be part of an active research focused team based at our Wallingford site. You will need to be enthusiastic, proactive and highly motivated with dedication to your role and have flexibility to achieve the required outputs.
- You will report to the Engineering Workshop Manager to produce, from drawings, machined parts and completed assemblies.
- You will be required to operate conventional lathes, milling machines and welding equipment.
- Flexibility and skills to work across engineering disciplines is required – there could be some small amounts of installation, service and maintenance of equipment at remote field sites.
As well as being highly skilled at precision machining, you should also have:
- A good understanding of material properties, applied mechanical engineering and knowledge of engineering tolerances, limits and fits.
- A good level of IT skills MS Word/Excel.
- Excellent team working and communication skills
Skills and qualifications required on appointment
- You will have a good deal of experience in a machine shop environment
- You must be able to read drawings and work to the appropriate tolerances, limits and fits
- Physical fitness is required as you will be carrying materials and equipment from the closest field access point
- You will be required to work outdoors at all times of the year across the UK, sometimes alone, with the occasional night spent away from home – possibly overseas
- A full driving licence is essential
The role is based at our site in Wallingford which provides free staff parking on site, a restaurant on site where you can purchase hot meals, sandwiches, salads, drinks and snacks. In addition NERC/CEH offer a public sector pension scheme, 30 days’ annual leave and 10½ days’ public and privilege holiday per annum.
To apply for this position please send a copy of your CV and cover letter to email@example.com. This is a full time, permanent position as a Band 7 and the salary is £22,224.